Table of Contents Hide
Healthcare is a big issue among urban Indians. Earlier, an Indian used to spend hardly on his or her healthcare. However, now there is an awareness about health related issues and problems. Not just men but women are equally concerned about their health and issues related to it.
In past decade, there have been a number of healthcare companies that have emerged in the country. Today, if you want to go under a surgery then these hospitals are well equipped to perform any kind of surgery.
Hence, people are avoiding going abroad and saving money. A surgery in US could cost you $50,000 to $100,000 however in India you could get it done only in $10,000 to $15,000.
You save a lot of money. This article has been written to shed some light on some of the best hospitals functioning in the country.
All of them have state of the art facility to perform any kind of surgery.
Ranking System: We ranked these companies and hospitals on the basis of their total assets. Then we also see the service given by them and number of employees working in the company.
Some of these hospitals are very famous and some you might don’t know. Therefore here is the list of top 10 healthcare companies in India.
1. Wockhardt Ltd
Wockhardt Ltd is an Indian company founded by Habil Khorakiwala in the year 1960. It is a global company with huge presence in developing countries like Brazil, Russia, Mexico etc.
The company has manufacturing plants in developed countries like US, UK, France and Ireland. Wockhardt has state of art treatment facilities and hospitals.
- Industry: Pharmaceuticals and Health Care
- Products: Formulations, Biopharmaceuticals, Nutrition products, Vaccines
- Revenue: The total estimated revenue of the company is Rs 4614 Crore
- Employees: Number of employees could be 8000 or more.
- Headquarter: The head office of the company is in Mumbai, India and hospitals operating through the country.
- Website: www.wockhardt.com
2. Apollo Hospitals
The second healthcare company in our list is Apollo Hospitals. The company or chain of hospitals was founded by Dr Pratap Reddy in Chennai in the year 1983. Apollo has over 2000 beds in the hospitals all over the country.
Company is growing rapidly and one could see new hospitals opening all across the country.
- Industry: Healthcare and Hospitals
- Products: The company is basically into Hospital Chains and they are also developing their own drugs.
- Revenue: Revenue of the company could be around $490 million to $500 million
- Employees: Number of employees are 10,000+
- Headquarter: Apollo is headquartered in Chennai, India and has a huge hospital in New Delhi.
- Website: www.apollohospitals.com
3. Fortis Healthcare
The third best healthcare company in our top 10 list is Fortis Healthcare. The company was founded by Dr Parvinder Singh in the year 2001. The company has a chain of super speciality hospitals in cities like Amritsar, Kolkata, Navi Mumbai, Hyderabad, Mohali, Jaipur, Chennai, Kota, Bengaluru, Gurgaon. Company is also present in Singapore.
- Industry: Healthcare
- Products: The company’s key services are in building Super Specialty Hospitals
- Revenue: Estimated revenue of the company is around $140 million to $150 million
- Employees: Number of employees working are around 1000 to 2000
- Headquarter: The head office of the company is in New Delhi, India
- Website: www.fortishealthcare.com
4. Piramal Enterprises Ltd
The fourth company in our top 10 list is Piramal Enterprises Ltd. The company was founded by Ajay Piramal in 1988. Some of its business units are Piramal Healthcare, Piramal Life Sciences, Piramal Capital & Decision Resources Group.
It is a very rapidly growing company and has many units.
- Industry: Diversified Healthcare Conglomerate
- Products: Piramal Healthcare, Piramal Life Sciences, Piramal Capital
- Revenue: The revenue of the company could be around $550million to $600 million
- Employees: Total number of employees are 5000 – 7000 across the country.
- Headquarter: The company is located in Mumbai, India
- Website: www.piramal.com
5. Cipla Limited
Cipla Limited is basically a pharmaceutical company that manufactures drugs of different varieties. The company was founded by Khwaja Abdul Hamied in 1935 in India.
Cipla makes drugs to treat cardiovascular disease, arthritis, diabetes, weight control, depression and many other health conditions.
It is also world’s largest manufacturer of antiretroviral drugs that fight HIV and AIDS.
- Industry: Chemical and Pharmaceuticals
- Products: Company make Pharmaceuticals and Diagnostics drugs.
- Revenue: The total revenue of the company has crossed billion dollar and remains at $1.1 billion
- Employees: Company has over 16,000+ employees.
- Headquarter: Company is based in the city of Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Website: www.cipla.com
6. Sun Pharma
The sixth healthcare company in the top 10 list is Sun Pharma. Sun Pharma was founded by Dilip Shanghvi in the year 1983. Company manufactures drugs in 23 different locations like US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico and Israel.
The company offers formulations in various therapeutic areas, such as cardiology, psychiatry, neurology, gastroenterology and diabetology.
- Industry: The core business of the company is Pharmaceuticals and making drugs.
- Products: Pharmaceuticals and generic drugs
- Revenue: Total assets of the company are around $1.2 billion and growing rapidly.
- Employees: Number of employees working could be 11,000 to 12,000
- Headquarter: Company was founded in Kolkata but the head office is in Mumbai, India
- Website: www.sunpharma.com
7. Siemens Healthcare
The seventh healthcare company in India is Siemens Healthcare. Although it is a German company but has huge presence in India. The company was founded by Werner von Siemens in year 1847 in Berlin.
Company manufactures different kind of healthcare systems. Many hospitals in the country uses medical equipment build by Siemens.
- Industry: Healthcare and Medical Solutions, Communication systems, power generation technology, industrial and buildings automation, lighting, medical technology, railway vehicles
- Products: Siemens Healthcare Systems as health industry is concerned.
- Revenue: The total revenue of the company around the world $70 billion to $80 billion
- Employees: The total number of employees are around 450,000+
- Headquarter: Company is headquartered in Berlin, Germany
- Website: www.siemens.com
8. Serum Institute of India
The eighth Indian healthcare company is Serum Institute of India. The company is founded and owned by Cyrus S. Poonawalla. He is also MD and chairman of the company.
The company is fifth biggest vaccine maker. Half of the world’s children populations are immunized by vaccines made by the Serum Institute of India.
- Industry: The company is in Bio-Technology and producing low cost vaccines.
- Products: Prime product of the company is Immunobiological Vaccines
- Revenue: Total revenue of the company is around $200 million to $250 million
- Employees: The employees are around 1000+
- Headquarter: The company is headquartered in Pune, India
- Website: www.seruminstitute.com
9. Opto Circuits
Opto circuits limited (OCI) is a vertically integrated multinational medical technology group. The company was founded in the year 1992 in Bangalore.
The company is operational in 150 different countries. Vinod Ramani is the chairman and managing director of the Opto circuits.
- Industry: Medical Systems
- Products: Medical Devices and Systems, some of products are Cardiac Science, Criticare, Eurocor, Mediaid, AMDL and Unetixs Vascular.
- Revenue: The total revenue of the company is $160 million to $200 million
- Employees: The total number of employees are around 1800+
- Headquarter: The company is headquartered in Bangalore, India
- Website: www.optoindia.com
10. ICICI Lombard
The last healthcare company in India is ICICI Lombard. Although ICICI Lombard is an insurance company but it is only for serving healthcare. It is largest private sector general insurance company in India.
The company issued over 7.6 million policies and settled over 4.4 million claims per year in year 2012.
- Industry: Healthcare Insurance
- Products: General Insurance
- Revenue: The estimated revenue of the ICICI Lombard $22 million to $25 million
- Employees: The total number of employees are around 2000 to 3000
- Headquarter: Company is headquartered in Mumbai, India with offices all over India.
- Website: www.icicilombard.com
So this was the list of top 10 healthcare companies operating in India. If you are a student looking for a job in healthcare industry then these companies could offer you an opportunity.