Linking your Aadhar card and mobile number is compulsory. If you do not link the two, your mobile number will not work after March 31, 2018. The linking is mandatory under orders issued by the Supreme Court of India. Here we show how you can easily link your mobile number and Aadhar card to avoid disconnection of service.
Why link Aadhar and Mobile?
In 2017, the Supreme Court of India passed an order making compulsory the linking of Aadhar card with all mobile number or the unique identity provided by the Indian government to citizens. The deadline for linking your mobile number with Aadhar card is March 31, 2017.
Failure to link your mobile number with Aadhar card or re-verify the Aadhar-mobile linking can result in your services being stopped.
To avoid this unpleasant possibility of your phone number getting deactivated because it is not linked to Aadhar card, it is essential to get the verification done on or before March 31, 2018. All mobile services provider in India has worked with the Unique Identity Development Authority of India (UIDAI) to offer easy linking if Aadhar and mobile numbers for customers.
These mobile operators include Aircel, Airtel, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd, Jio, Idea Cellular, Telenor, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd and Vodafone India now offer easy linking of Aadhar to your mobile number.
Here we look at different ways and means to link your mobile number to Aadhar.
Aadhar Card link with Mobile Phone
If you submitted biometrics and Aadhar details while taking a prepaid or postpaid mobile number, now Aadhar card linking with the mobile phone is very easy.
- Dial number 14546 from the mobile number you wish to verify.
- You will get an Interactive Voice Recorded message.
- Select the language of your choice by keying the corresponding number such as 1 for Hindi, 2 for English, for example.
- The IVR will ask your permission to verify your Aadhar details. Provide the permission by keying in the appropriate number.
- Now, the IVR will ask you to key in your 12-digit Aadhar number.
- Once entered, your Aadhar number will be read out by the IVR and you will be asked for confirmation. Here, you can make any amendments or corrections, if you have entered a wrong Aadhar number.
- If the Aadhar number entered is correct, you will be asked to acknowledge the same by keying in a digit or star or hash mark on your mobile.
- Later, the IVR will read out your demographic details such as name, date of birth and address and ask your confirmation.
- Key in the appropriate number to confirm your demographic details.
- you will get a One Time Password by Short Messaging System (SMS) on your mobile.
- Key in this OTP on your IVR conversation to verify your Aadhar details and mobile.
- The IVR will now ask if you have more than one mobile number to link with Aadhar. If yes, enter the number of mobile connections you want to verify.
- If you do not have more than one number, the IVR will ask you to end the call.
- Should you have more than one SIM card, you will need to key in the number of mobiles you wish to verify.
- The IVR will guide you to key in every mobile number you want to link with Aadhar.
- You will receive an SMS message confirming your Aadhar and mobile number are linked. In some cases, you may get a message stating your Aadhar and mobile linking is being processed and get a confirmation SMS in a day or two.
NOTE: You have to dial 14546 only from the mobile network whose number which you wish to register or verify with your Aadhar. For example, if you hold a number from Jio and Vodafone, you need to dial 14546 from your Jio to verify that number and from Vodafone to verify the other.
Linking mobile number with Aadhar card and Verification at Stores
People who are using a mobile number from a different telecom circle than the one on your Aadhar card have to visit the nearest store.
For example, a resident of Maharashtra and Goa holding a mobile number issued in Mumbai has to visit the mobile network’s retail store, gallery, showroom or even individuals who are issuing new SIM cards and have the Aadhar biometrics reader. This is because Maharashtra and Goa are considered as one telecom circle while Mumbai is another.
- Visit the nearest retailer of your mobile number network.
- Present your Aadhar card and tell the staff which number you wish to verify.
- The staff will ask you for a fingerprint scan connected to the Aadhar network.
- Once your fingerprint has been successfully captured, the reader will provide your Aadhar details to the store staff.
- This staff will then key in your 10 digit mobile number on the Aadhar database.
- Now you will receive an OTP by SMS on your mobile phone.
- Provide this OTP to the counter staff, who will complete the required formalities.
- Once successful, you will receive an SMS from the mobile network informing your Aadhar and mobile number are linked.
- Or you will get an SMS stating your mobile-Aadhar linking is under process and will be given a reference number. Generally, such linking will be done within 48 hours.
How to link mobile number with Aadhar card for Senior Citizens/ Persons with Disabilities
- Some mobile networks are providing the facility of mobile-Aadhar linking at home for senior citizens and persons with special needs, keeping in mind their inability to visit stores or complete formalities on phone.
- Senior citizens and persons with disabilities can request a representative from their mobile network to visit at home by dialing the customer care number.
- If the network provides such facility, you will be given a date and time for a representative from the mobile provider to visit your home.
- Give your mobile number and Aadhar details to this representative.
- Your fingerprints will be captured on the biometrics reader by the representative.
- Once done, your mobile number will be keyed in for verification.
- An OTP will be sent by SMS to your mobile number.
- This OTP has to be provided to the representative for completing your formalities.
- done, you will receive an SMS confirming your mobile number and Aadhar are linked. Or an SMS informing your application is under process and a reference number.
Who Should Link Aadhar Card With Mobile Number?
According to the Supreme Court of India order, every Indian national who holds a mobile number has to link it to Aadhar before March 31, 2018.
- Owners, authorized signatories or managers of companies, business establishments, educational institutions, banks and other organizations that have provided mobile numbers to staff for official uses have to link these ‘official’ numbers.
- Individuals who provided passports, bank passbooks, Voter ID cards, driving licenses, pension fund cards and other documents as Proof of Address and Proof of Identity have to link their Aadhar card with Mobile Number.
NOTE: Link Mobile number with Aadhar card is compulsory for Indian citizens only. Foreign students, consultants hired by Indian companies, tourists and non-Indian delegates of companies operating in India are exempted from such linking.
There are no clear instructions about how Indian citizens who do not hold an Aadhar card can link their mobile numbers.
According to figures released by UIDAI, some 98 percent of Indian adults and eligible children are now linked to Mobile number with Aadhar Card, which is the world’s largest biometrics-based identification system.
Hence, the number of persons holding mobile numbers but not Aadhar cards is expected to be negligible at best.
Benefits of Aadhar Card Link With Mobile Number
The benefits of linking your mobile number with Aadhar are many.
- All payments, disbursements made by the Central or state governments to you such as refund of subsidies on cooking gas cylinders, pensions, special allowances are linked to Aadhar. Hence, you can get timely notifications when these funds are paid to your bank account.
- In case you lose your mobile number SIM card during travel, it can be easily replaced anywhere in India by merely visiting the nearest store of your mobile network provider.
- You can receive all alerts from the Indian government instantly on your mobile linked to Aadhar.
- The mobile number linking with Aadhar is expected to reduce prank calls, threats and other crimes committed over mobile phones. Since the number is linked to Aadhar, law enforcement authorities can track down criminals rather swiftly.
Disadvantages of Aadhar Card Link With Mobile Number
Unfortunately, there are some disadvantages of linking mobile and Aadhar too.
- You cannot link more than two mobile numbers to Aadhar. Means, buying SIM cards or children below a particular age can be prohibited.
- The limited number restriction might affect invalid senior citizens since their adult children may no longer be able to use their Aadhar to get them a mobile number.
- Unless a lost or stolen mobile number is reported and blocked immediately, you can find yourself in serious trouble with the law, should some criminal or prankster use your mobile number.
NOTE: It is not known how many numbers an individual can link Aadhar card with Mobile number under their name and address. If you are using two numbers, have the most important one linked with Aadhar first. This way, you will continue to receive calls, bank alerts and other important messages sans disruption, even if the other one gets disconnected.
March 31, 2018, has been set as the deadline by the Supreme Court of India to link mobile number with Aadhar card
Given the colossal number of Indians who use mobile phones, several may be unable to complete this simple formality.
Those who do not hold Aadhar cards are encouraged to get one. However, the process of applying can be very cumbersome: the number of Aadhar enrollment outlets remains few despite the high demand. Consequently, people have to spend as much as half a day to get appointments for registering themselves.
We cannot forecast whether the Supreme Court of India will extend the March 31, 2018, deadline. Hence, it is ideal to get your mobile linked with Aadhar at the earliest.