Food Processing Companies in India: As per the InvestIndia report, the Indian food processing industry accounts for 32% of the country’s total food market. Estimated to be worth USD 121 billion, it is one of the largest industries in India and is ranked fifth in terms of production, consumption, and exports.
The industry employs 13 million people directly and 35 million people indirectly.
It accounts for 12.8% of manufacturing GDP, 11.6 % share in total employment, 10.4% share in India’s exports. Currently growing at more than 10% per annum, it is expected to touch USD 535 billion by 2025-26.
India has some of the best food processing companies. As the country grows, we need more processed food. Hence to meet this demand, we have to have trusted food processing companies.
So here are some of the top 10 food processing companies in India.
Top 10 Food Processing Companies in India
Britannia is India’s most trusted and valuable food brand in India.
It focuses on providing affordable,life-oriented food products.
It manufactures Good Day, Tiger, NutriChoice, Milk Bikis, and Marie Gold, Cheese, Beverages, Milk, and Yoghurt.
Their food production categories are; biscuits, dairy, rusk, bread, cream wafers, croissants, etc.
The company’s products have reached more than 50% of Indian households, and 5 million retail outlets are available across the globe.
Britania claims to gain a third of India’s one billion population trust.
Key Highlights of Britannia
- It is India’s first Zero Fat Company.
- It has been awarded the Golden Peacock National Award and Ramakrishna Bajaj National Quality Award.
- In 2009, the company established Britania Nutrition Foundation in a public, private partnership. This foundation works to under-privileged malnutrition children and women.
Nestle is the world’s most significant wellness and food-beverage company.
It has collaborated with more than 2000 brands and is spread across 186 countries.
The company has collaborated with international quality brands such as Nescafe, Maggie, Milkybar, Kit Kat,
Bar-one, Milkmaid, and Nestea. In recent years, it has started to manufacture daily consumption products, including Mlk, Nestle Slim Milk, Nestle Dahi, and Nestle Jeera Raita.
Nestle’s first factory was established in Punjab in 1961. It has four offices and eight manufacturing companies in India.
Nestle gives employment to more than one million people in India.
The company believes in Good Food, Good Life.
Key Highlights of Nestle:
The company has been working towards three ambitions until 2030 :
- Help 50 million children to have a healthier life.
- Help 30 million communities for employment
- Work towards having zero environmental impact.
- It was recognized as ‘The Most Valuable Food Brand’ in India in 2016.
|It is recognized as ‘The Most Valuable Food Brand’ in India.|
3. REI Agro Ltd
India has exported $ 4 billion in Basmati rice in FY21.
With a 22 percent share in the world’s basmati market, REI Agro Ltd is the leading basmati processing company.
The rice comes from house RET Agro is ISO 9001:2000 certified, ensuring an excellent quality standard of grains.
It was established in 1995 to produce more efficient fragmented basmati rice.
The Company offers a broad spectrum of brands like Raindrops Extra Long Grain (ELG), Raindrops Gold Supreme, Raindrops Gold Royal, Raindrops Gold Super, Raindrops Supreme, Raindrops Royal, Raindrops Select, Raindrops Super, Raindrops Popular, Raindrops Daily, and Raindrops Rozan.
Key Highlights of REI Agro Ltd
- It is the world’s largest basmati rice production company.
- REI Agro has achieved basmati rice sustainability upto 18-24 months.
Headquartered in Anand, Gujarat, Amul is a milk-co-operative company.
It has over 50 years of experience in the milk and procedure business.
The company started with the motto of reducing the exploitation of marginal milk producers by brokers and traders in the Gujarat state.
It was established in 1946 and is currently managed by Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd ( GCMMF), owned by around 3 million milk producers.
There are 144,500 dairy co-operative societies in India, in which around 15 million milk sellers contribute their milk.
This milk is distributed in 184 district co-operative unions and used by 22 state Marketing Federations.
Amul had around USUS$5.4 billion in revenue in 2020.
Key Highlights of Amul.
- Amul has built a direct connection between producer and consumer.
- It has 144,500 cooperative dairy societies.
- It was on the finalist list of the World Dairy Innovation Awards-2020.
Haldiram is the fastest-growing Indian sweets, snacks, and restaurant company.
It is headquartered in Nagpur and was founded in 1937 by Shivkisan Agrawal.
The company manufactures products like saviours, sweets, beverages, cookies, and instant food.
The company’s manufacturing plants are set up at Nagpur, New Delhi, Gurgaon, Rudrapur, and Noida.
Haldiram aims to grow its business by promoting socially and environmentally responsible practices across the globe.
Its focus involves stewardship of natural resources, maintaining transparency, and creating a good atmosphere at the workplace.
Highlights of Haldiram:
- It is known for its most authentic tasty products.
- Haldiram is honoured to be a member of Snacks Food Association (SFA), Virginia, the U.S.A. which comprises world-renowned food product manufacturers, their website states.
6. LT Food:
LT Food company is the most prominent rice-selling company in India.
It was established by Father Shri Raghunath Arora in 1980.
The company sells branded rice, wheat and pulses, healthy snacks, spices, and other nutritientious products like brown flax seeds and cashew nuts.
In addition to this, it produces brown rice and a variety of rice-based snacks.
The company owns a flour mill in Bhopal, ISO 22000-2005 certified for ‘Paddy receiving, processing, packing and dispatch of Rice’ by SGS, UK, and has 300 tons expandable capacity per month.
Also, ISO 14000 certified the company’s largest plant is located at Bahalgarh. It also has a re-packing centre in Maharashtra.
LT food is spread across 50 countries and has around 900 employees worldwide.
Dawat is the company’s flagship brand.
Key Highlights of LI Food:
- It combines Sustanibilty and Market Linkages which are key drivers in farmers engagement.
- It has won a Large Value Chain on Basmati Rice for 2020.
7. MTR Foods
MTR foods stand strong when it comes to the Indian Heritage food brand.
It manufactures products; pickles, beverages, desserts, masalas, ready to eat, spices, and vermicelli.
The company serves Indian snacks, Indian sweet recipes, ready-to-eat food, masalas, South Indian breakfast, and many Indian recipes.
In February 2007, it collaborated with Nordic conglomerate Orkla (www.orkla.com). The Orkla global conglomerate comprises four business units: Orkla Foods Nordic, Orkla Brands Nordic, Orkla Food Ingredients, and Orkla Brands International.
MTR food preserves traditional Indian food culture and ensures safety.
Key Highlights of MTR food:
- MTR Food is known for its motto of preserving traditional Indian food culture and ensuring quality.
- It has won the Triple-A Country Awards 2020. Best Green Bond Award, Hong Kong.
8. Parle Agro:
Headquartered in Mumbai, Parle Agro is a prominent food and beverage company in India.
The company has collaborations with brands like Frooti, Appy, Appy Fizz, Bailley, Bailley Soda, Dishoom, and Frio.
It manufactures beverages like fruit drinks, nectars, sparkling drinks, and carbonated soft drinks.
Founded in 1984, Parle Agro company has 4050 workers, 84 manufacturing facilities, and 6500 crores revenue.
Key Highlights of Parle:
- It has launched India’s first ever fruit-based drink and first baked snack
- It has won the highest Sales Growth award in the beverage category.
9. Ruchi Soya
India ranks at the fourth number in the edible oil market.
Ruchi Soya is the largest cooking oil-making and palm plantation company in India.
The company’s products include Biscuit Division, Ruchi sunlight oil, sun-rich oil, natural oil, nutrela soya foods. However, its new manufactured products include Ruchi star soyabean oil, vanaspati, bakery facts, etc.
It manufactures and exports soya-based nutritional ingredients and products to over 60 countries worldwide and has 500 clients.
In 2019, Patanjali Ayurved took over it.
Key Highlights of Ruchi Soya
- India’s most extensive oilseed solvent extraction and edible oil refining company.
- Ruchi Soya company processes more than 25 % of the country’s crop.
In India, Kissan is the very first food and vegetable company. It is known for its fresh ingredients.
Brooke Bond India brought Kissan in 1993, and today it is an essential part of Hindustan Unilever Limited ( HUL).
Kissan manufactures products such as jam, sketches, peanut butter, and squash.
The company primarily focuses on natural ingredients, fresh vegetables, and fruits.
Everest, Delica delights, Mansa, and Samas are some competitor companies of Kissan.
Key highlights of Kissan:
- It has played a major role in the growth of the raw materials market in India.
- HUl has been awarded as Best Governed Company Award by the Asian Centre for Corporate Governance & Sustainability at the 7th Asia Business Responsibility eSummit & Awards Ceremony.
India has become a prominent figure among food processing companies across the globe.
So these were the top 10 food processing companies in India. You could go to the website of every company and find more information.