Table of Contents Hide
- What is whey protein?
- What are the various benefits of whey protein?
- What are the disadvantages of consuming whey protein powder?
- 15 Best Whey protein powders in India –
- 1. Bigmuscles Nutrition Crude Whey – MRP – 799/- kg.
- 2. Asitis – MRP – 1,215/-kg.
- 3. Power is raw whey protein powder – MRP – 997/-kg.
- 4. Muscle blaze raw whey protein powder – MRP – 1,349/- kg
- 5. GNC Whey Protein – MRP – 3,834
- 6. Himalaya questa pro advanced whey protein powder – MRP – 2,125/- kg
- Ultimate Nutrition Prostar 100% Whey Protein – MRP – 4,799/- 5.28lbs
- Abbzorb nutrition raw + whey protein powder – MRP – 1,329/-kg.
- Optimum nutrition- MRP – 5,773/-
- Dymatize Nutrition Elite Protein Powder – MRP – 6,010/-
- Musclepharm Combat – MRP – 4,999/-
- Advanced MuscleMass Supplement – MRP – 1,499/-
- Muscletech Performance Series – MRP – 5,990/-
- Scitron Raw ISO Whey Protein Powder – MRP – 1,349/- 2lbs.
Every cell in the human body contains some amount of protein making it an essential part of our survival. We need a protein-rich diet in our lives for a variety of reasons such as to help repair cells and form new ones.
Protein is crucial in the healthy growth and development of children, teens, and adults, and especially pregnant women.
Over the years, we’ve all seen a massive change in the way we look at our consumption of protein. Protein-rich food such as cheese, almonds, eggs, meat, daals are a great way of consuming protein but these days, bodybuilders, athletes, vegetarians, and vegans are consuming protein powders such as whey in order to meet their daily protein requirements.
If you are someone who is considering incorporating the best whey protein powders as part of their daily diet, then we’re here to provide you with a complete guide on what whey protein is, its advantages, disadvantages along with 15 brands that we would recommend for those who want to incorporate whey protein in their diets.
What is whey protein?
Have you ever opened a yogurt container? If yes, then you must’ve noticed a sort of liquid that often floats on top. This liquid which separates from the liquid part of milk is called whey. Generally, milk contains 2 main types of protein –
- Whey (20%)
- Casein (80%)
During the production of cheese, whey goes through a number of processing steps before it’s recognized as whey protein; a powder which is then consumed by people in the form of protein bars, as meal replacements, and something which they can add to their shakes. There are 3 types of whey protein and the difference between them is in the way that they’re processed and they are –
- Isolate – Isolate whey has 90% or more percentage of protein and it contains less fat and lactose but it also lacks many of the other beneficial nutrients which are typically found in protein concentrates.
- Concentrate – Concentrate has around 70-80% protein content and contains fat and lactose which is milk sugar. Concentrate whey is known to have the best flavour.
- Hydrolysate: Most commonly also recognised as hydrolyzed whey, this type of whey has already been pre-digested so it gets absorbed in our bodies faster. Hydrolysate is also known to cause about a 28-43% greater spike in your insulin levels than isolate whey.
What are the various benefits of whey protein?
There are many benefits to consuming whey protein powder, such as –
- Excellent source of protein – Whey powder is made from the liquid which separates from milk during the production of cheese. Whey protein is a high quality protein which contains all of the essential amino acids. In addition to this, whey gets absorbed by the gut easily when compared to other types of protein. Whey protein is most popular amongst athletes, bodybuilders and those who want additional protein in their diet.
- Promotes muscle growth – Muscle mass reduces as we age. The loss of muscle mass can cause fat gain and also raises the chances of many chronic diseases. Strength training along with the consumption of high protein foods or supplements has been an effective strategy in preventing/slowing or even reversing the loss of muscle mass when combined with an adequate diet and strength training. Whey is rich in amino acid and leucine which is a growth promoting amino acid.
- May help in reducing blood pressure – Hypertension is one the leading causes of heart diseases. Numerous studies have been conducted that link the consumption of milk to reducing blood pressure. This effect can be credited to a bio active peptide called angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors or ACE inhibitors. In whey, these ACE inhibitors are called lactokininis. Several studies have been conducted on animals that show signs of reduced blood pressure. This effect can only be seen if you have high or slightly elevated blood pressure to begin with.
- May help in the treatment of type 2 diabetes – Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease which is characterised by high blood sugar levels and an impaired function of insulin. Insulin is a hormone which is produced by our bodies to keep our blood sugar levels in limit. Whey protein has been found to increase the production of insulin thus helps in keeping our blood sugar levels in check.
- May help in reducing inflammation – Inflammation is our body’s response to damage. Short term inflammation can be beneficial but in some cases it could be chronic. Chronic inflammation can be harmful and can put you at risk for many diseases. A large review study conducted shows that higher doses of whey protein can significantly reduce C-reactive protein which is a key maker of inflammation which occurs in the body.
These are some of the main benefits of consuming whey protein powder.
What are the disadvantages of consuming whey protein powder?
Along with advantages, there are also a few disadvantages of consuming whey powder especially to those individuals who are allergic to milk. Some of which are –
- Nausea – High protein foods aren’t easy to digest and when your digestive enzymes can’t keep up the effect can cause nausea and bloating in some cases.
- Fatigue – When whey protein powder is consumed in high amounts it can leave you feeling tired and cause fatigue.
- Headache – If you are lactose intolerant then consuming whey protein powder may cause severe headaches in some cases.
- Stomach pains – Some people have problems digesting protein and may therefore experience symptoms of stomach cramps, bloating, gas etc.
- Reduced appetite – Recent studies have shown that whey protein powder can suppress appetite and since it causes rapid digestion and increases the amino acid in your body, it can cause for your appetite to reduce significantly.
- These are a few disadvantages of consuming whey protein powder.
15 Best Whey protein powders in India –
Now that we know what whey protein powder is along with its numerous advantages and disadvantages, here’s our list of the top 15 whey protein powders available in the market for consumption –
1. Bigmuscles Nutrition Crude Whey – MRP – 799/- kg.
Big Muscle is a leading food supplement brand in India. This crude whey from big muscles is an unflavoured powder that has about 80% whey protein which helps build muscles but also has carbohydrates which help improve digestion and has no added sugar. This crude whey powder is imported from the USA.
The various features of this product are –
- No added sugar.
- Has no fat content
- Ideal supplement for muscle building if your into intense workouts.
2. Asitis – MRP – 1,215/-kg.
Asitis is an FSSAI approved whey protein and has no added sweeteners. This is one of the leading whey protein brands in India. The various features of this product are –
- Fast digesting high quality whey.
- Get the benefits of your workout as you get crucial amino acids and BCAA which is required for muscle repair and muscle regrowth.
- You can add your own flavor as asitis whey powder is unflavoured.
3. Power is raw whey protein powder – MRP – 997/-kg.
The powerus whey protein powder is a product of proburst nutrition. This whey protein powder is gluten-free and unflavoured and it’s a vegetarian product. Powerus has about 80% protein content which is perfect as a workout meal. Some of the features of this product are –
- Helps boost immune system
- Helps in quick muscle recovery
- This product is natural
- Has no artificial chemicals
- You’ll be consuming raw protein and carbohydrates.
4. Muscle blaze raw whey protein powder – MRP – 1,349/- kg
Muscle blaze is one of the pioneers in whey protein powders and has gained popularity over a period of time. It has the added value of Glutamic acid which enhances recovery and fastens the muscle synthesis process. The various features of this product are –
- Papain and Bromelain are two substances which help in the digestion and absorption of protein.
- Has no added sweeteners or banned substances.
- Reduces muscle loss and muscle retention.
- Has added enzymes which help in better digestion.
5. GNC Whey Protein – MRP – 3,834
GNC is a health food store that was established in the 1930s and has over 200 retail stores worldwide. Their chocolate fudge whey protein powder has a high-quality macronutrient which goes through a special formula. It also has high amounts of naturally occurring amino acids which are part of our daily nutrition. So features of this product are –
- Has 0 added sugar
- Has 24 grams of high protein and contains 9 essential amino acids.
- Contains whey concentrate and isolate with digestive minerals and enzymes.
- Helps the body in muscle growth and protein synthesis.
6. Himalaya questa pro advanced whey protein powder – MRP – 2,125/- kg
Himalaya is a healthcare brand that’s well trusted all around the world. Their chocolate flavoured whey powder is a blend of all three whey concentrate, hydrolysate and isolate which ensures faster absorption and helps in the development of improving metabolism. Some features of this product are –
- Enriched with herbs like pomegranate, hadjod, and winter cherry which gives the best results in muscle recovery.
- It’s enriched with BCCAs mainly Valine, Leucine and Isoleucine which comes naturally in amino acids.
- Contains Calcium, Vitamines B,C and E.
Ultimate Nutrition Prostar 100% Whey Protein – MRP – 4,799/- 5.28lbs
This protein powder is full of essential amino acids which help build muscles at the end of a hard workout. Has immunity enhancing factors from which whey Portia a specialised process. Some key features of this product are –
it’s a vegetarian product
It’s available in a variety of flavors.
This whey protein serves the muscle while also retaining the process which happens during the muscle creation form.
Has FSSAI product approval.
Abbzorb nutrition raw + whey protein powder – MRP – 1,329/-kg.
Abbzorb is a whey protein powder which has about 80% whey protein which comes in it’s natural and unflavoured form. This powder also does not contain any additional sweeteners. The various flavours that are available are banana, strawberry, chocolate etc. Some features of this product are –
- Is about 80% pure whey concentrate.
- This powder is unflavoured and comes with digestive enzymes and Novozymes.
Optimum nutrition- MRP – 5,773/-
Optimum Nutrition Inc. is a leading international cheese and nutritional ingredients group. They have a variety of nutritional products or supplements such as capsules, tablets, bars, ready to drink products and powders. This powder is easily mixable and gets digested easily making it an ideal consumption for pre or post workouts. The various features of this product are –
- Has a low fat and sugar content.
- Contains 120 calories per serving
- Comes in over 20 different flavours.
- HealthKart 100% Pure Raw Whey Protein MRP – 1,599/- kg
Healthkart is a young startup and has around 400 employees who work to provide you with the best protein supplements for your health. This unflavoured protein powder is vegetarian and can thus be consumed by everyone. The various features of this product are –
- It’s unsweetened and unflavoured making it perfect for calorie conscious people.
- Doesn’t have added preservatives, fat, gluten or any heavy metals.
- Every serving provides you with 24g of pure protein for each serving.
Dymatize Nutrition Elite Protein Powder – MRP – 6,010/-
Dymatize is a leading sports nutrition brand which offers a diverse number of dietary supplements for athletes to perform to help maintain their diet. This supplement doesn’t have fat, aspartame or sucrose. This powder is available in many flavours such as rich chocolate, chocolate fudge, gourmet vanilla, cafe mocha. Some of the features of this product are –
- Provides an ideal ratio of essential and non essential amino acids.
- Has 22g of protein per serving.
- Protein is free of fat, sucrose, fillers and is low in carbs.
Musclepharm Combat – MRP – 4,999/-
MusclePharm is a nutritional supplement company and has its headquarters in California. They have a variety of supplements over the years. MP combat is made with a unique blend of whey protein isolates and concentrates which help in lean muscle building. This supplement is low on fat and is a great way of replenishing nutrients after an intense workout. Some key features of this product are –
- Low in sodium and has no gluten-free colors or artificial dyes.
- It’s a healthy alternative to eggs, fish and meat.
- Low in sodium and fat.
Advanced MuscleMass Supplement – MRP – 1,499/-
Muscle mass supplement powder is a great quality protein powder that helps in the building of lean sucked along with muscle recovery. It has an enzyme mixer digezyme which helps aid digestion. Some features of this product are –
- Has no added sugars containing artificial sweeteners.
- Has added digezyme which is an enzyme mixer.
Muscletech Performance Series – MRP – 5,990/-
Nitro tech is a series of whey protein supplements which has whey isolates and peptides which is the primary source of protein. Provides you with 30 grams of protein per serving. The various features of this product are –
- Helps enhance muscle recovery.
- Promotes faster muscle gain
- This protein powder has a milk chocolate flavour.
Scitron Raw ISO Whey Protein Powder – MRP – 1,349/- 2lbs.
This is a unique product as it has 100% Raw ISO whey protein. Scitron is a leading brand when it comes to sports nutrition, dairy products, cheese, vitamins and mineral premixes. Some key features of this product are –
- Has 0 added sugars.
- No added preservatives.
- Vegetarian product
- Can be consumed as a meal in itself.
General FAQs about Whey protein powder –
Question: What is Whey protein made of and is it natural?
Answer: Whey protein is 100% natural as it’s a byproduct of milk.
Question: Do you need any other protein supplements along with whey protein?
Answer. Whey protein is a complete protein as it’s a chain of amino acids.
Question: Is whey protein powder convenient?
Answer. Whey protein is convenient as it doesn’t require much digestion and it provides your body with immediate amino acids. Consuming whey protein post workout is also a convenient way of kick- starting protein synthesis and for speeding up your recovery process.
Question: Will consuming whey protein powder be enough for reducing weight?
Answer. Whey protein powder is not a magical solution to reducing or gaining weight and can therefore can’t be the only thing you count on when wanting results.
In Conclusion –
Whey protein is a great supplement for those who are seeking added protein in their diets. However individuals must remember that while this is a great meal replacement it can’t be the only source of food one consumes as our body requires more than just protein and amino acids to function properly. The prices may vary according to availability and current market prices.